Chapter 2: Loose Lips Invite Blades
“Forgive us. We can’t let you in at the moment, young lady. The Patriarch is currently meeting with the elders.”
“I don’t care, just let me in!”
“Young lady…”
Two guards stood at the entrance of the great hall, barring
the way of a young lady who appeared increasingly impatient.
Despite the yelling, she looked as though she had been
carved from a piece of fine jade. She wore a graceful jade-green silk robe with
wide, flowing sleeves. Its hem was embroidered with subtle cloud patterns,
while a simple jade hairpin held her long black hair in place.
“What’s the commotion out there?”
A deep voice echoed from within the hall, instantly
silencing both the girl and the two guards. One went inside the hall
immediately and bowed.
“Forgive us, Patriarch. It was the young lady. She has been
insisting on seeing you.”
“…All right, allow her in.”
A middle-aged man with sharp features and a dignified,
commanding presence turned toward the people seated on either side of him. All
of them exuded a calm yet imposing demeanor, their gravitas no less authoritative
than that of the man seated in the central seat; the Patriarch of the Yun
Family.
“That concludes this meeting, elders.”
“Patriarch, do you think that this is the best course of
action given that we are talking about the great Seo Family?”
“Patriarch, surely we cannot forget the support they gave us
during the war.”
“I do not disregard their goodwill or their influence,
elders. However, this matter concerns my daughter…”
He paused as an elegant young girl entered the hall with
graceful steps. The elders rose from their seats, bowed respectfully to the
Patriarch, and left the hall as the young lady entered.
“Father, why did everyone go silent when I entered the
hall?”
“Haha, it’s nothing, my daughter. We were just discussing a
few matters. Nothing that concerns you right now.”
“Father…”
The girl’s expression hardened slightly.
“…I know what you did. How could you break the engagement
between me and Jin-Woon?”
The Yun Family Patriarch's expression fell at her words. He
had intended to keep it a secret until the matter was officially settled. But,
someone seems to have leaked the news to her.
“That was for you, Xi’er.”
“I know, father. But you could’ve at least asked me first.”
“I was afraid you might object. After all, love can blind us
all.”
“…I was going to ask you to do it anyway, Father. Although
Jin-Woon is a good man, he is simply an addict. Always gambling and drinking. I
heard he was visiting the pleasure house too.”
The girl’s voice was serene.
“Father, I didn’t love him to begin with. My affection
toward him had already begun to fade a long time ago. But I was still willing
to marry him for the sake of our Yun Family. After all, he was the heir to one
of the most powerful families in the Jianghu.”
The Patriarch's eyes widened. This wasn't the reply he had
expected from his daughter.
“But now, his disgraceful conduct has become unbearable,
Father.”
“Hahaha!”
A rare laugh escaped the Yun Family Patriarch.
“It seems I hid this fact from you for nothing after all.”
He patted his daughter’s head gently. Embarrassed, she
gently pushed his hand away.
“Don’t pat my head, father. I’m now a grown woman.”
“You will always be my little girl, Xi’er. Let’s find you a
man who deserves someone as glamorous as you!”
“Ah, Father, about that... I already have someone in mind.
I'll handle this matter myself.”
Then she quickly turned around and strode away without
meeting her father's eyes.
“Young lady, you have a guest.”
An attendant approached Yun Ruo-Xi as she headed toward her
room.
“A guest? At this noon? Who is it?”
“It’s the young master of the Seo Family. He’s at the main
gate.”
“Ah…”
She let out a sigh.
Meanwhile, Jin-Woon was waiting inside a guest room in the
Yun Family mansion, while his guards remained outside. Though the room wasn't
as lavishly decorated as those in his family's mansion, it was still more than
worthy of a guest room in the famous Yun Martial Family.
Hearing the clatter of weapons and the faint sounds of
greetings outside his room, Jin-Woon realized that his fiancée, or rather, his
former fiancée, had arrived.
On any other day, Jin-Woon would have rushed outside at the
mere thought of seeing her. But today, he didn't even rise from his seat when
Ruo-Xi entered the room.
Ruo-Xi's eyes narrowed slightly when she noticed something
different about him.
“…”
“…”
The silence between them was painfully awkward. They had
once been able to talk for hours without running out of things to say.
“Why did you come without a prior notice, Jin?”
“Are you still going to call me ‘Jin’ as if nothing has
happened?”
Jin-Woon said while smirking.
“I was really a fool not to see through your act!”
“…”
His words, sharp as needles, made Ruo-Xi realize that
Jin-Woon had also heard about the broken engagement.
“That wasn't my decision alone. It was decided by the Yun
Family. After all, who would want to marry to a drunk gambler, even if he’s a
rich one?”
“Oh… So your ‘Jin-ge’ suddenly became a ‘drunk gambler,’
huh? I see.”
his chest tightened
“…I’m sorry.”
“Oh you’re sorry? Is that all you can say after sullying my
family’s name?”
“That's rich coming from someone who spends all his time
drinking, gambling, and visiting pleasure houses.”
Ruo-Xi’s tone was gradually becoming sarcastic. She was
angered by the Jin-Woon’s condemning voice from the beginning.
“Wait. Wait. Wait. I have never laid a hand on another
woman! I gambled and I drank, yes. But never that!”
“Whoa, what a gentleman this is!”
“Hey, what’s with your tone? After everything I’ve done for
you, are you mocking me?”
“What I do is none of your business. Since you already know
that our engagement is over, just leave. You have nothing to do here from now
on.”
“Make me leave if you can! Who is your family in front of
mine, huh? A woman must know her place, you bitch!”
Before Jin-Woon could even realize the words were out of his
mouth.
“What did you say? What did you call me?”
Ruo Xi’s fist clenched so hard that the veins in her
delicate hands became visible for a second.
“Enough is enough!”
She took out a wooden plaque with the characters “Yun”
carved on it and hurled it at Jin-Woon.
“I challenge you to a duel, you mongrel. You called me a
bitch and even insulted my family.”
Ruo-Xi’s voice was so sharp that Jin-Woon instinctively
shuddered.
“If you win, we will reconsider this matter. However, if I
win, you must apologize to me and my family.”
“Huh?”
This was certainly not what Jin-Woon had expected. He had
come here intending to convince Ruo-Xi to end their engagement privately,
rather than allowing the matter to become a dispute between their families.
But, as usual, his mouth had gotten ahead of his judgment.
If he refused her challenge and she informed the Yun Family
Patriarch of what had happened, things would become messy. Jin-Woon knew that
much.
“Shit.”
He lowered his head in resignation.
“Father, mother…I’m sorry. I screwed up.”
Comments
Post a Comment